Over 60 people were yesterday rushed to various hospitals after consuming meat from a dead cow in Kabaral village in Ole Shapani sub-location in Narok South.
Confirming the incident, Narok South OCPD Mr. Mohammed Farrah Maalim said a cow which was expectant died in the home of one Isaac Rono on Saturday and the family decided to distribute the meat to the rest of the villagers. “By yesterday evening, the Rono family and the villagers who had consumed the meat started complaining of giddiness, nausea and stomach pains,” Maalim said.
They were rushed to Ololulung`a and Ol-Kemenyu health facilities for treatment. Those who were in a serious condition were taken to Narok Level Four Hospital where they are fighting for their lives but medics at the facility have described their condition as stable.
Narok County Public Health Officer Mr. Daniel Sironka said they had forwarded samples of blood and other specimens from the patients to the Government Chemists in Nairobi to ascertain what could have caused the food poisoning from the meat.
He allayed fears that the dead cow was suffering from anthrax, saying the patients did not show any symptom of the disease.
He called on the members of the public to report any cases of sickness among their livestock, saying there was an outflow of animals from the county to other places in search of pasture due to of the dry spell that was witnessed in the county and other parts of the country since last year and this could have led the animals contracting diseases.
Sironka warned residents against consuming uninspected meat or that of animals that die from unknown causes. “You have to ensure every meat is inspected and certified by meat inspectors before consumption to avoid such incidences,” he said.
The veterinary department in Narok is preparing to carry out massive vaccinating of all animals in the county against various livestock diseases such anthrax, Rift Valley fever, East Coast fever and foot and mouth among others in order to avert any outbreak after the long dry spell.