Varsity Student collapses, dies in his bed


A 28-year-old Maasai Mara University Student in Narok town died this morning after collapsing in his rented room at Total estate in Narok town.

Confirming the incident, Narok County Police Commandant Mr Thomas Ngeiwa said the deceased; Gilbert Kirui, a second year Tourism and Natural Resource Development student  took unusually long to wake up and when his friend; Vincent Kiprono went to check on him, he found Kirui having collapsed in his bed.

Kiprono, a fourth year student at the same University alerted other students who moved him to the University Dispensary. He was rushed to Narok Referral Hospital where he was pronounced dead on arrival.

The body has been moved to Narok Referral Hospital Mortuary pending postmortem and further investigations into the incident.

Mr Ngeiwa said preliminary investigations showed the deceased was epileptic and might have choked to death in his sleep during an epileptic seizure.

“The deceased might have choked to death in his sleep after an epileptic fit, but we are waiting for further medical examinations on the body,” He said.

Earlier this year another student at the same university died in his hostel room after developing breathing problems.

A report from the Kenya Association for the Welfare of People with Epilepsy reveals that about 1,000,000 Kenyans suffer from epilepsy, 80% of whom are in rural areas.

Also read: How Diana Mumbi met her killers

The association further states that over 80% of the epileptic do not seek treatment and shied coming out to talk about the condition due to stigma.

Over 70 million people suffer from epilepsy worldwide. People with this illness need special care and medical treatment as they are prone to accidents such as drowning or falling into the fire.

In Kenya and Africa at large, the illness is considered a curse and many people hid victims instead of seeking medical help.

Last month, a 22 –year-old epileptic man drowned in a dam at Kamaget village in Ilkerin area in Transmara East as another fell in a fire in Narok North during a fit.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Most Popular

To Top